05 Apr Listing Prep: DIY Repairs + Upgrades
After you have finished decluttering and doing a deep clean in your home (see our previous post), the next step is a simple one. Do another walk through, notebook in hand, and jot down what needs to be fixed our touched up. This is also a good time to use your creativity. A few small changes or updates can go a long way. Here are some things to consider:
- Replace old or dated door knobs, including cabinets.
- Look through your bathroom(s) and see what upgrades could be done.
- Change out an old thermostat. Consider going with a smart one like NEST if your budget allows.
- Repair walls and re-paint them with a neutral color if needed. Any peeling paint should be removed completely.
- Check your lighting fixtures, handrails, doorbells, and garage door openers.
- Staging services can provide furniture and artwork that will compliment your home if it fits in your budget.
- Fix up cracked or broken windows. FHA approved buyers may not be able to purchase your home with damaged windows. See this article for more FHA property standards.
The point of this step is to make your house look move-in ready. You’ll want buyers to be excited to enjoy the home just by walking through the door. Some helpful tools and inspiration can easily be found on Pinterest or Houzz.
For more advice on getting your home market ready, contact a Verve agent here.